April 17th, 2017, 12:15 a.m. local time
After my first attempt at Jupiter in prime focus, I decided to splurge and get a Tele Vue Powermate x5. Finally on Easter Sunday evening with a nice break in the neverending clouds, I took my 127mm Mak-Cass outside, set up the camera, and went to work.
I should note before proceeding that my first 2017 Jupiter was done with my homemade 10″ Dobsonian and a standard x2 Barlow lens. The above picture was with my 5″ Orion StarSeeker IV and the new Tele Vue Powermate x5. In both sessions I used my Baader Neodymium filter and Canon EOS Rebel SL1. So today’s picture was done with a lot less aperture but a much better Barlow lens, both in magnification and grade. I used the smaller scope tonight only because it was a bit quicker to set up and has GoTo tracking, though the tracking did not help much.
I still have about a dozen videos to process, but this is my first post-processed image from stacked video (x1.5 Drizzle). I am pleased with this first result, and a bit surprised the small 127mm scope worked so well. It was an added bonus to have the Great Red Spot framed nicely.
In hindsight, as I am still learning to use both my DSLR camera for telescope astrophotography as well as this new magnifying lens, there is much room for improvement. I hope the skies are clear again tonight to give it around go!
If any of my other Jupiters from tonight turn out good, I will post them later.